In the well-known 2007 TED Talk, "Do Schools Kill
Creativity," Sir Ken Robinson asserts that our current school system was
designed around the factory model in order to create trained workers, and that
the current model is outdated for the needs of the 21st-century workforce. In
fact, he asserts that the current model of education is killing creativity.
For the most part, I find that I agree with Robinson. As the
current educational system is constructed, children are pressed into a
one-size-fits-all model of instruction and assessment that encourages
like-mindedness and largely marginalizes (at best) students who are divergent
thinkers. Students are rushed through curriculum in order to match a pacing
guide that is set up so that students can pass a test that shows that they have
attained a certain amount of knowledge. There is little to no allowance for
students who learn at different rates or who want to explore a topic in more
depth.
The educational system desperately needs an overhaul.
While sweeping change in education will take a very long
time, a lot of effort, and political mountain-moving, small changes made by
many can start to shift the balance toward the changes that need to happen in
order to develop an educational system that serves the creativity and
critical-thinking needs of the 21st-century workforce.
With the introduction of technology into education, teachers
have an unparalleled opportunity to create changes in they way they teach, and
in the way students learn. Technology offers an opening that provides teachers
with a reason to rethink what they do, why they do it, and whether there are
different, or better, ways to approach student learning.
Digital media can be used for students to delve into a topic
in depth, to provide them with opportunities to create their own knowledge, to
share their learning, to solve problems, or to enter into a much larger
community to discuss and solve problems.
In my last year in the classroom, I discovered that using
digital media brought not just my students, but their work, to life. When my
students were required to blog instead of write an essay, they learned the real
meaning of audience, because they had an audience. When I told them to consider
what they could add to their blogs to make them better, or to engage their
audience, they found videos, other blogs, articles, and even songs that were
related to the topic. While their basic writing skills were pretty much
unchanged (except for the students who paid more attention to the nuances of
writing because they didn't want to look bad), the quality of the work they
produced improved significantly. When they realized they had an audience
besides the teacher reading their work, my students' creativity in how they
approached the assignment increased dramatically. Because they used a digital
medium, they were able to incorporate so much more than they could in a
traditional essay, and they embraced the process.
Had I stayed in the classroom, I would have incorporated
even more use of digital media throughout the school year. Since I am now in a
different position, I find myself encouraging teachers to incorporate digital
media in their own classrooms. As I work with teachers and have conversations
about planning their instruction, I challenge teachers to come up with ideas
for how to use digital media. I ask questions, and I provide feedback to ideas
that they generate. When a teacher is particularly struggling to find an idea,
I will make a suggestion, but I try to keep it limited so that the teacher owns
whatever they decide to do.
I find that teachers are currently my students, and the way
that I can incorporate digital media to increase creativity is through
providing a push for them to use it themselves in their classrooms. In this
way, needing to plan how to use digital media in the classroom is the motivator
for teacher creativity, which, in turn, should spark student creativity.
I am hopeful that if I do my job well, and even some teachers
embrace changes that promote student creativity, I can help become a part of
the shift in momentum that transitions education from a 20th-century model that
encouraged conformity to a 21st-century model that embraces creativity and
critical thinking.
Reference:
Do Schools Kill
Creativity? | Sir Ken Robinson | TED Talks. (2007). Retrieved November 20,
2015, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG9CE55wbtY
No comments:
Post a Comment